Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Why We Invested in Natural Farming (and Why You Should Too!)



            First of all, I will not be writing this if I’m not doing a business related in natural farming. I would like to share to you all the hardships of this business, why you would want to enter this industry, and the wonderful rewards it can give you.

            So clearly, this is for you.

            Entering the natural farming industry can greatly impact your life. Especially if you have been living in an urban area for most of your lives. It’s not only refreshing but it can also help you appreciate the nature. Waking up early during mornings will surely make you feel good!

            Imagine yourself staring at the sky or the field near your farm between the end of dawn and morning and hearing chickens and other animals around you. In my case, seeing this almost every day of my life gives me a positive mindset and a clearer goal.

            Okay, let’s talk about the businesses you can make out of natural farming.

            A business is an institution that solves problems of individuals, groups, or institutions. In short, a business is a problem solver. Determine the problems you currently have – what businesses solve them?

            If you are hungry, you go to Jollibee or Mcdonald’s (I'm not paid by these corporations to mention their names). In times you want to go shopping, SM solves your problem. Any problems of your life can easily be solved by any businesses or entrepreneur!

            What kind of problem do you want to solve?

            Just like in any other kind of business, you should also solve problems using your natural farming business. Why? It’s because if you only create a business just to earn without the goal of solving a problem, it will surely fail. That’s one of the reasons why 9 out 10 businesses fail.

            As Guy Kawasaki said, “Make meaning first then the money will follow”
.
            So what problems in natural farming can you solve then?

            In my case, I’m greatly involve in the hog raising industry and the problems facing this kind of industry are very wide. Here are some problems that I have solved and currently solving:

·         Antibiotic residue on meat products
·         Conventional hog raising is greatly abused and it led to horrible odor on pig pens and farms
·         The price of the market pig is low but the price of the feeds is always getting higher
·         The used of darak is greatly adopted (wow!)

I don’t know about you but I don’t want to eat these kind of meat products. Before I knew this, I was a meat lover but after someone gave me this information, I turned green – no, not the Incredible Hulk but The Green Man.

What I did was I became a distributor of a natural feed product. Yes, I am selling feeds in our town and I’m the only one doing that. All my competitors are selling antibiotic feeds (yikes!). My goal in doing this is to make the price of the feeds cheaper. I even sell my products lesser than the SRP!
AGREECulture store at Iglesias St., Pob. North, Sta. Cruz, Zambales

            We also implemented seminars to teach town folks about the new way of natural farming. I think this is really helpful but people still need a follow up before they comply. This is normal if you’re a businessman. It seems that they don’t understand you at first meeting but eventually they will patronize you.

            The result of our hard work is paying earlier than I expected. Soon, months after our seminars our customers started selling their pigs and the results are excellent! They are surely amazed on the fact that they can already sell in just 2 months (the conventional way is you need to wait for 4 months before you harvest). Some of our customers even experienced unusual positive things like the meat buyer asks them about the feeds they used because the meat is really good and tastes good.

            Today, we are still planning of new activities that will uplift natural farming in our town. We have already conducted many activities but I never get tired because this is my passion. So I suggest if you really love farming, go for it! It’s just like doing what you really want and earning money is just a bonus from your enjoyment.

            Entrepreneurship is now entering a new era and it is the natural farming. Maximize what you can use to boost your farm or business using internet or any other tools that you think can help you. Don’t forget, make meaning first before you make the money. That’s what I learned from Guy.

            See you at the top of your business!

Turning Hog Raisers Into Businessmen

No comments:

Post a Comment